Brute force cracker
A common technique for recovering protected contents is iterating over all input permutations and observing output permutations. However, this only works well for PLDs with only combintorial logic (ie no FFs).
Example projects include:
- Arduino based: http://www.jammarcade.net/arduino-pal-cracker/
- "The method used was identical to the way Charles MacDonald’s device worked so to keep compatibility with his analyser program. I don’t really require the ‘dumping’ feature of this as I use the hardware from Charles and its a lot faster to use but this option is there if I ever need it."
- Charles MacDonald: was this published?
- brizzo may have something
- kevtris may have something